Wednesday 23 May 2012

Through the nose

May sunshine is bringing bright light into the garden at last, making the golds, purples and reds shine, a real feast for the eyes.
I'm stunned by colour when I go out every morning, everything in the garden looks rich and...loud. 
Of course, all this gorgeousness is for the pollinators.

I've been getting down amongst the plants, it's a good time to weed out the unwanted before all the spaces get filled, and when I weed the only tools I use are my hands.
I prefer weeding this way for two reasons.  First, because I like getting my hands dirty and soil under my nails.  Second, you start to see your garden differently, and intensely, as if you've been shrunk like Alice.  You become more observant and see things you never noticed from this new, pixie perspective.
Hours pass and there's nothing on your mind other than what you are doing.  Looking at leaves, stems, ladybirds, blades of grass, seeds breaking through soil, colonies of moss.  There's a lot going on.

This closeness to the ground and the plants brings another awareness, scents.  The soil and woody bits, different leaf-smells as you disturb them, fallen leaves and petals decomposing all add a further layer to the sensory experience.

A scent enters the nose and goes straight to the part of your brain marked 'mood' and 'memory'.  It's a truly wonderful thing that a blend of notes such as peppery, sweet, citrus,floral,woody,sharp etc can start a direct flow of associations so damn quick!
And they are so personal, all our own.  Here are a few of mine:

English Roses - scent of old gardens, heady, velvety, smooth,
Vivien Leigh, summer, birthdays, just divine.

Fennel - cleansing, fresh, green, liquorice, aniseed balls, it wakes me up.

Freesia - is what heaven smells like, especially white freesia.

Vanilla - is warming, mum's custard, proper ice cream I ate between two wafers as a kid, creamy.  Basically, makes makes me feel good. 

Heather - late summer, bees, grouse feathers, honey, whisky, childhood, earthy, glorious.

Lavender - dry, woody, herbal, warm days, clarity, relaxation, deep purples.

Honeysuckles - sweet and soft, swoony, comforting, calming, honeyed, warm dry nights, Midsummer Night's Dream.

Go for a wander, feel a few leaves and smell the flowers - don't be shy.  Take a walk down memory lane.  Enjoy.



Lady Emma Hamilton.  Just lush
 

fennel


lavender


freesia.  Heaven

1 comment:

  1. I too have always gardened without gloves. Like you the smells, textures and temperatures of the soil fill your mind and chase cares away. 'The answer lies in the soil' is so true and has many meanings.

    ReplyDelete