Friday 18 May 2012

Radio-head

Radio can be a much easier companion than t.v. if quiet is too much.  There are times when quiet is exactly what you want, but then it can fill with thoughts that become white noise in your head.
T.V. is like too much sugar or blue sweets, shouting colour and commotion at me, so I always reach for the radio instead.

It gives you some room and allows spaces that your mind can slip into, going along with the talk or wandering off by itself.

I have spent many nights knitting to the Shipping Forecast, turning stitches into squares while travelling around the coastal stations and sea areas of Britain from the harbour of home. The rhythm of names and weather becoming woven into the greys and blues of the wool.
Then I wander much further back to a house on a main road in a small town, my Nana and grandad checking off a delivery of cigarettes in their front room . The sound of the bell when someone comes into the shop and a sigh as Nana straightens up to go and serve them and the Archers theme tune starts.
At home our radio played chart music but theirs was all talking and plays.  

After the coastal stations, it's good night and The National Anthem, and radio 4 ends in the way it has ended for decades.
Like being told it's time for bed, officially.  But I switch to radio 3 for the Through The Night classics and hope for some Mahler instead.  



  




1 comment:

  1. Sounds familiar and takes me back to nights of listening to the reassuring and comforting voice of the shipping forecast. Then god save the queen followed by night music. I always hoped for a cheeful 'tune' to take me through to dawn and hopefully the a blackbird's song to announce another day had begun.

    ReplyDelete