Tuesday 29 May 2012

A Force of Nature

Thankfully, it has cooled down.  Burning, bright sunlight means more napping.  It has been a struggle to find shade in the garden, even the haven of the shed got up to oven temperature over the last few days and greygirls cook easily.

I went out into the garden today, my morning ritual, scattered a few blackbirds and checked  the baby clematis hadn't been eaten during the night.  Seconds later I saw it, the big white papery bloom that wasn't there yesterday.  A poppy had finally busted loose from the large hairy pod I've been admiring for weeks, with a sense of expectation.

The sight of this flower lifted something inside me, like a thing of beauty should.  On closer inspection, the exquisite crumpled petals are like a dress I would just love to wear, then there's the unbelievably intricate eye radiating dark purple with a light violet circling it.
It is so perfect my heart aches.  All this from a seed the size of a speck that I had sown last year - how does so much awesomeness come from such a little thing!?

It really is a spectacle, a towering white wonder that now graces my garden like a sublime note in the air.








 

No comments:

Post a Comment