Tuesday 10 July 2012

Random notes...

So, they think they've found the subatomic particle that is the cosmic glue holding the entire universe together and is responsible for all life.
I struggle to wrap my mind around this I'll admit, but I've seen some interesting attempts to visually explain the science to the uninitiated, resulting in some rather far-out images...









See what I mean? No wonder prof. Higgs shed a tear.  One of the things I discovered was that the guy responsible for naming the Higgs boson the 'God' particle actually called it 'that godamn particle!', but some publicist changed it.

Anyway, I've heard my first joke:

The Higgs boson goes into a church and the priest says, "You can't come in here, get out!"
so the particle replies,
"Sorry mate, but you can't have mass without me."


Ta-dah!

Thanks to the lovely Snailman for that gem.











Moving swiftly on...

A belated mention of Lonesome George, who finally shuffled off the very last mortal coil of his kind, leaving a tiny island in the Galapagos bereft of giant tortoises.  He was the rarest animal in the world, and a poster boy for all things conservation. Now, alas, the Pinta island giant tortoise subspecies is extinct and another tiny light goes out on the tree of life.
Apparently old Lonesome had survived pirates, whalers and even the goats that threatened to eat him out of home and habitation to reach his century.  He had the look of a creature who had seen much in his time and had many solitary hours.  More than enough time to think.

Farewell fella.



Lonesome George R.I.P
 

1 comment:

  1. Poor George - perhaps it was the impending news of the Higgs bosun that was just one thought too many!
    Thank you Snailman for putting it all into perspective!

    ReplyDelete