Monday 11 June 2012

It's tricky

Just read my daily email from Moodscope talking about goals and climbing mountains, and that during a low spell these have to be broken down into bite-size pieces.  A messy kitchen can be that mountain, and deciding to wash sufficient things in order to make a coffee could be the goal.  It's not about the size of the achievement but the achievement itself.

Why am I telling you this? Because I have several boxes and bags recently collected from what used to be my studio and to be honest it looks like the north face of the Eiger.  Possibly a volcano that could go off without warning.

I'm struggling to get to grips with it, even in baby chunks of time, since making a decision about what to keep and what to throw is beyond me.  I don't value any of it, it's just a lot of mess rather than things with potential, work waiting to be resolved etc. Just 'stuff' without any meaning or significance, and it's tempting to build a pyre and torch the lot, but I might well regret this much later.

The trickiest thing is that when I do start to go through it all I disturb layers of history and memory that seems to be trapped inside everything, and get stuck.
So I have to go into the garden to be back in the present.



A few days ago I got some good advice, and I followed it.  Here is an update of what's growing in the garden just now:



Astrantia and honey lilies, beloved by bees


Heuchera, a brassy splash of red-gold in sunlight


Euphorbia, a riot


Camellia, no longer flowering but couldn't leave her out


Fleabane, there's no stopping this baby, it flowers until the frost


Jude the Obscure, first seen at Alnwick & fell in love with the scent


Hosta & ferns, great combo


Poppy & allium


Ravenswing, a gorgeous ornamental cow parsley



Solomon's Seal


Red Hobbit Aquilegia


Sweet peas & sugar snaps



Tulip & wallflowers - ok this was last month, but look at it!
 

1 comment:

  1. Oh I just love those photos. What a lovely assortment of plants and flowers. I am always sorry when a favourite has peaked and finished for this year but then there is always another favourite following on somewhere.

    ReplyDelete